UN Environment is currently seeking applications for “Young Champions of the Earth” with an aim to nurture the next generation of environmental leaders.
If you have a powerful idea to protect or restore the environment; if you have a strong track record of instigating change; if you are unafraid of failure; and if you believe in a bright future for our planet, then you just might have what it takes to become a Young Champion of the Earth.
Six Young Champions of the Earth are selected every year, one from each global region (Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, and West Asia). Each winner receives the following:
– US$15,000 in seed funding;
– Attendance at the United Nations Environment Assembly in Nairobi, December 2017, and the United Nations General Assembly in New York, September 2018 (all expenses paid);
– An introduction to over 100 environment ministers at the Champions of the Earth Gala Dinner;
– Publicity and recognition through online and global media;
– Access to high-profile mentors and customized training in communications, project planning, financial management, etc.
– Participation in an intensive, one-week entrepreneurship course in Europe in the first quarter of 2018 (all expenses paid).
– To be eligible to apply for the 2017 Young Champions of the Earth Competition, you must be between the ages of 18 and 30 on 15 November 2017. That is, your birth date must fall between 1 January 1987 and 15 November 1999 (inclusive).
– Only one entry is allowed per person.
– Employees of Covestro, a major Competition sponsor, any other Competition sponsors, and the United Nations Environment Programme (hereinafter “UN Environment”) and the immediate family members of such employees are not eligible to participate in the Competition, either as applicants or as sponsors.
– The term “immediate family” of such employees includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household as such employees, whether or not they are related to them.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, visit here.
Application deadline: 18 June 2017.