The Lagos State Electricity Board (LSEB) will launch its very own wall of fame for the month of October 2014! The wall of fame is a dedicated wall in the LSEB office that will house balloons celebrating Lagosians who have fulfilled all the conditions to be ‘IN’. This means joining the energy awareness drive by following @lagosenergy or liking the facebook page and using the Lagos Energy Calculator. Throughout the month of October, each honoree Lagosian will have their name written on a balloon and put up on the Energy Wall of Fame by M.I. and his elected team of helpers. To be launched on Tuesday, September 30, 10:30am at LSEB Office, Ikeja.
So, are you in or out?
Start by following this simple conservation tips.
1. Calculate your household energy consumption by using the Lagos State Energy and Emissions Calculator. Understanding your household energy consumption will allow you to plan and implement appropriate energy conservation methods that suit your lifestyle.
2. Switch off unnecessary lighting. Make full use of daylight – ensure windows are cleaned and curtains are opened.
3. Switch from conventional to energy saving bulbs.
4. Reuse and recycle paper, and other items with extra shelf life.
5. Switch on air conditioners, microwaves and other appliances only when required. Switch off equipment when not in use. No more standby.
6. Setting timers can provide significant energy savings on equipment such as television sets.
7. Avoid using the air conditioner by making use of natural ventilation i.e. opening windows. Fresh air is always better.
8. Adjust time and temperature settings to ensure cooling settings match occupancy patterns.
9. Ensure taps are turned off completely to save water.
Take short showers or bath with a bucket of water rather than long baths.
Brush with a glass of water in stead of letting the tap run,mans teach your children and wards to do same.
10. Plan your journeys to use the least amount of vehicles or take effective public transportation such as the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) or water ferries.