Doctor Nnabuchi Chidi, a Consultant Physician at Bwari General Hospital, on Sunday advised against burning of refuse, saying it could cause respiratory infection.
Chidi told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Bwari, that bush burning often led to impurities in the atmosphere that could cause damage to the lungs during breathing process.
“The air we breathe-in goes through the nose and through the air-ways, into the lungs and whatever impurity we breathe-in, gets trapped in the lungs.
“Burning of refuse produces a lot of carbon, methane-gas, dust particles and ashes which pollutes the air we inhale.
“They get trapped in the air-way and coat the lungs, reducing the amount of oxygen the person can absorb and over time, the elastic fibres are damaged by all these things we inhale.
“Lung compliance reduces, so it stiffens and the people may end up with what we call chronic constructive air-ways disease,” he explained.
He therefore urged people to take proactive steps aimed at stopping the practice of burning of refuse.