No fewer than two persons were yesterday killed in a fire incident which completely razed over 100 structures in Small Kuramo located along the Lekki Beach Road, Lagos Island Local Government.
The victims of the fire incidents were a 27-year-old man identified as Azeez and a young female adult simply named, Kemi both of whom were sleeping when the fire broke out at about 3:00 a.m.
The Secretary of Small Kuramo, Mr. Micheal Onuwaje, said the fire gutted property worth N50 million, noting that it cost N500, 000 to construct each of the burnt structures.
Some residents blamed the incident on a generating set while others said the fire was due to the carelessness of a female resident who stored fuel in the house and was cooking beside it.
The residents explained that the fire spread so quickly and rapidly that many could not remove their properties from their apartments, noting that the fire was beyond the control of the residents.
Onuwaje, who is the secretary to the community, said he learnt someone “was refueling a generator that was on before it exploded. Before the fire service officials came, some young men managed to put it out.
“Every shop here has a 5 kilogram fire extinguisher but unfortunately, they were meant for first aid. It is a pity we lost two lives. The late Azeez was a trader here but I do not know the girl involved. I called the police attached to Ilasan police station who carried the bodies.
“It was a big loss. We cannot count our losses. I was able to salvage a plasma television from a cabin. I thank the fire service because they acted promptly. Though, we do not have any collective plan for those affected but I believe they would pick up again,” he added.
Recounting his loss, one of the residents, Mr. Jude Obi, who owns two of the affected structures, lamented that he lost at least N3 million including the cabin and the property stocked in it.